November 30, 2010

She Really Was The Best Dog


Courtney Rae 1999-2010

If you know us, then you probably knew her. And chances are you loved her. She was the big dog that had an even bigger heart. She was a part of Carissa’s life since before I was a part of Carissa’s life. But over the years, she became my dog. I say that, of course knowing that she was never solely my dog.

But she was the absolute best dog I have ever known. Patient. Understanding. Kind. Tolerant. Eager to please. And above all, Courtney displayed what it truly means to be part of a family.

In life, things change. Circumstances shift. That certainly was true for her. At first it was just her and Carissa. Then I was added to the mix. Then 2 little boys entered the fray and became big boys. And then 2 more dogs invaded Courtney’s life. But through it all, Courtney’s capacity to welcome others into the family only grew.

She reminded me time and time again that when it’s all said and done, where you live doesn’t matter (she moved with us six times). The stuff you have means nothing (to remind me of that, she chewed everything up as a puppy!) Only the ones you love truly count.

It’s a difficult thing to lose a pet you’ve had for over 11 years. For some, it seems weird to love an animal so deeply. For others, it seems weird not to. For me, Courtney was a part of our family. And I couldn’t help but love her.

And tonight, as I say goodbye to her, I can’t help but be reminded of all that she taught me about being in a family.

Goodbye, Court. I’ll miss you. But I will never forget you.

3 comments:

  1. Andy, I'm so sad to hear of your family's loss. We lost our Lilly at this time last year. It's so tough, but the memories are the best! I'll say a prayer for yall this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read this, but it is all a part of life. Pets are such a blessing from the Lord and they become a part of our families, even if but for a time. It makes us appreciate the precious gift of life and the urgency to make an impact while it is still called "today." Blessings...

    ReplyDelete